It goes without saying that guns are not the kind of objects that can be left lying carelessly around your house. These are weapons that need to be kept out of reach and out of sight of children, intruders and anti-social elements. The best place to safeguard your guns is by keeping them in a gun safe. In some cities and states, owning a gun safe is mandatory for owning guns.
Points to consider before buying gun safes:
Gun safes are categorized into “small”, “medium” and “large” depending on the number of guns you want to store. The safe also provides space to store other gun-related accessories. A small safe can store up to ten firearms. Medium and large safes store up to 30 and 50 weapons each. Extra large safes can easily hold more than a hundred guns.
If gun collecting is your hobby, go for extra large safes. For hunting enthusiasts, a long safe should be perfect to accommodate the rifles and shotguns. A portable safe will be ample for those who own only a single gun.
#2. Design and construction
The physical robustness of a gun vault is one of the main features that must be scrutinized. Here’s what you should look for:
- The thickness of the doors should be at least 5/16 inch thickness or more.
- The height of the solid steel walls.
- Steel gauge should exceed 8 or more for a high-quality safe.
- Sound locking mechanism with additional securing bolts.
- Sturdy base or mounting hardware to keep them upright.
#3. Locking mechanism
What’s a safe without a reliable locking mechanism? Check if your gun vault has any one or a combination of the following:
- Key locks
- Combination locks
- Biometric locks
- Electronic keypads.
#4. Protective features
Guns cannot be exposed to hazards like fires or floods. The gun vault with the following features will give you enough assurance that they will be safe from such accidents:
- ETL certification that states your safe is waterproof.
- Underwriters Laboratory (UL) classification that verify the fire-resistant capacity of the safe for half an hour when exposed to 1550 Fahrenheit (843.33 °C) heat.
#5. Special features and accessories
Buying a gun vault should be a worthwhile investment. Your vault should serve you for at least a couple of decades. Some of the latest vaults have the following features and accessories:
- Some safes come with ‘quick draw” or ‘drop-down’ drawers that can be mounted under tables or desks with the mounting hardware that is provided specifically for this purpose.
- There are specific safes for storing long shotguns and rifles. They also come with additional storage for smaller guns.
- Smart gun vaults are the latest in the market. They can be controlled with your smartphone or computer
- Safe doors have designated spaces for storing ammunition and other paraphernalia.
- State-of-the-art security systems to alert you in the case of an intrusion.
- Extra large safes have interior boxes with locks, pouched, holders, and adjustable compartments.
Gun safes can be discreetly hidden within the walls or closets of your home. Always check reviews to find the right company that deals with gun safes.